The AFS Workshop is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:
- Being kind to others
- Behaving professionally
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
- Focusing on what is best for the community
- Showing empathy towards other community members
Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
- Harassment of conference participants in any form, in person or online
- Bullying, insults, or put downs
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Violent threats or language directed against another person
- Sexual language and imagery in any conference venue, including talks and clothing.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or exclusionary jokes
- Excessive swearing
- Unwelcome sexual attention or advances
- Unwelcome physical contact
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Other conduct that is inappropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds
Participants asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in behavior that violates this code of conduct, the conference organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund.
Thank you for helping make this a welcoming, friendly event for all.
No weapons are allowed at conference venues, including but not limited to explosives (including fireworks), guns, and large knives such as those used for hunting or display, as well as any other item used for the purpose of causing injury or harm to others. Anyone seen in possession of one of these items will be asked to leave immediately, and will only be allowed to return without the weapon.
Attendees are further expected to comply with all state and local laws on this matter.
All AFS Workshop attendees are subject to the Code of Conduct. This includes staff, volunteers, as well as attendees of receptions, sponsored or unofficial events.
Exhibitors in the expo area, sponsor or vendor booths, or similar activities are also subject to the Code of Conduct. In particular, exhibitors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of conference staff immediately. Please staff immediately directly or by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Credit: This Code of Conduct was adapted from the example policy created by the Ada Initiative and other volunteers, which is under a Creative Commons Zero license.